Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Opera

The Birth and Life of Opera was very insightful. I thoroughly enjoyed traveling with the speaker through different locations observing and appreciating the advancements in civilization through a visual art. Overall, I learned quite a bit and I am looking forward to see how opera has transformed society's entertainment. I watched the opera,Tosca and I was thoroughly impressed with the orchestration. The use of sounds to categorize characters showed us who were villains and who were the common folk. This opera was overall enjoyable, even though the subjects, murder, torture, and suicide were used to create suspension and dramatize the situations being portrayed. What makes Tosca interesting is because this opera was made to define the perspectives of the year 1800, from the year 1895. Nowadays we portray the past much differently than the way the past was perceived over two-hundred years ago. I enjoyed learning more about the history and the challenge of deciphering the overall meaning, or moral of the opera. Tosca is an opera that bases itself on events that occurred prior involving war and iconic villains, in this case Napoleon. Watching an opera is something I have never experienced, and I am glad to have chosen Tosca as my first, especially for its incorporation of music to define characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment