Friday, March 6, 2015

Video Games

As a child I was involved with many sports starting at the age of two. Playing video games and watching the television were not a priority and I never had much time. Although, when my family and I would travel across the country in our RV, my siblings' and my favorite game, other than looking out the window for punch buggy cars, was to play our Sega Genesis console. Our favorite games included: Sonic the Hedgehog, Aladdin, The Lion King, and a tennis game. I can still remember the video game music and its ability to create suspense at specific points. I also love when different sounds are used to emphasis certain characters and events within the game. Growing up as the youngest of five, I learned how to play a variety of video games, but all of these started out on our old desktop PC computer. I had a game that consisted of this elaborate baking console that connected to the keyboard. You could practice rolling dough, mixing, and using different baking ingredients. The console was connected to the computer, therefore, if you performed the wrong step, the batter would turn out incorrectly. My brother Chris, sister Katie and me would go to our cousins house and we would play Mario Party together, enjoying every minute of spending time together. Mario Party was and still is my all time favorite video game. The duels and the adventures that game lets the gamer experience amongst other players sitting next to them was an ingenious idea. As I got older, my family loved Guitar Hero. My other sisters Anna and Heather, Katie, Chris and I would battle each other. Our mom even played with us. I enjoyed pretending to be a rock star who could actually play music. Guitar Hero is actually where I learned about music, exposing me to my favorite songs and bands. One game that my brother and I loved and would always play together is Gears of War. My brother and I would play for several days, hours on end until we defeated all the levels. Sometimes we would get frustrated with each other, but my brother appreciated having someone in the family who would play games with him and didn't mind wasting the day away. These moments I shared with my family are priceless and irreversible, thanks to video games.

No comments:

Post a Comment